Sunday, September 7, 2008

Surprise!!!!!!

Yesterday, I went to my cousin's bridal shower. It was a miserable day here...rained...poured...ALL DAY LONG. The festivities were supposed to be held out side at her aunt's home and of course the weather didn't cooperate, so everything was moved inside. I don't know how many people were there but it seemed like a million or so. That's neither here or there.... Anyway, the shower was a surprise. Why do people insist on having surprise showers? The bride and her fiance are renovating their house. Basically, spending every spare second trying to have it ready by there wedding next month. I don't know what the plan was to get her to the shower was but, she decided it was too miserable out and she was going to work on her house. Finally, her fiance told her about the shower. She comes over and is a mess...A MESS! Wearing huge sweats and a tee covered in paint and dirt, her hair was piled on top of her head in a Medusa like fashion, make up from the night before smudged on her face. She was mortified. Then she had to greet all her guest and open presents looking like a fool. How embarrassing for her? I don't mean to be harsh...but, why do people think bridal/baby showers need to be surprises? You know you are going to have one. What are your thoughts...to surprise or not?

12 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, how horrible for your poor
cousin. I agree, surprises -
bad idea. What a nightmare!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Oh that's terrible! Poor thing! Surprises are for birthdays. Maybe. Really I think it is just best policy to tell people so that they can be prepared. If she knew ahead of time she would have dressed cute. No one wants to look like crap in pictures.

melissa said...

What a nightmare - I can't imagine how uncomfortable your cousin must of felt!

Melissa

RED said...

I'm right there with you. No surprise nessessary, too tricky to pull off and the guest of honor should be prepared (how to dress, etc) in my humble opinion. Besides, everyone "knows" they are having a shower eventually, right? And how terrible for your cousin, all dressed down and prepared for a day of house work, not gifts and girl-gab!

lisagh said...

A full out "surprise" is probably not the best idea in this situation. But... if they really want to surprise the honoree and still shroud her from total embarrassment, maybe they should have invited her to a luncheon or something and then diverted her to the surprise shower. At least that way she'd be appropriately dressed!

Preppy Lizard said...

Oh I feel so bad for her. That would be my worst nightmare. Showers should not be a surprise!
Everytime she looks at those pictures she is going to be mortified at how she looked.

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Some very well meaning folks had a surprise baby shower for me one night after choir practice. I looked OK but it was on the heels of ANOTHER shower the next night and most of the people grabbed for the surprise shower had already been invited to the other one the next night. I was MORTIFIED!

Sarahviz said...

NOOOOOOOO! I made it clear for both my wedding and baby shower that I didn't want to be surprised. That would suck.

Maureen said...

Eeekkk... that stinks.

Too bad the planners didn't plan for the pre-shower activities (taking a shower and getting dressed)

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for your poor cousin. That was not a good setting for a surprise shower. I got married four weeks ago, and I was thrown a surprise shower at work, but that was totally fine, because everyone including my boss was in on it, so I wasn't swamped with work, and I was dressed appropriately. The other showers thrown for me by my bridesmaids was definitely not a surprise and I appreciated knowing the time and date, and being able to get ready for it.

The wife said...

I so agree with you on this! We have friends that like to do a "surprise" birthday party every year for their spouses---really is it a surprise after you've done it EVERY year for the past 9 years? Do people think it's less special if the honoree knows about it? I can only imagine how embarrassed your cousin felt.

Snappy Casual Snippets said...

if I were that girl I would be pissed. I don't have a nicer way of saying. How horrible for her.