Friday, March 16, 2007

Count your blessings

We were in the middle of the morning craziness...brushing teeth, fixing hair, packing school bags, etc....when our phone rang at 7:15 Am. Assuming, with the pending snow/ice storm, it was one of my friends telling me school was cancelled. It was my neighbor, my retired neighbor without children. Her voice was deflated. The dog was barking, the girls were loud, all I heard was hospital. My heart sank, thinking one of "The Jet Set", that is what we call the retirees in the culdesac, was sick or worse. I asked her to repeat herself, "Fiona is in the hospital, it is Leukemia." Fiona turned five yesterday. I have hugged my girls a million times today and plan on a million more before bed...

2 comments:

k e r r y said...

My heart just sank and I am chilled. This is a terrible fear of mine - if something happened to my children I just don't know what I would do. My thoughts go out to you and your neighbor.

melissa said...

How very sad. Keeping this little girls in my prayers.

mcc